Title X - The Federal McKinney-Vento Act (part of NCLB) guarantees equal access to public education for students experiencing homelessness. Title X students may be:
- Sharing housing due to loss of housing or economic hardship
- Living in motels, hotels, camp grounds, parks, public places or other accomodation not designed for human habitation
- Living in emergency or transitional shelters
- Qualified migrant children in the above living circumstances
- Awaiting foster care placement
Students who qualify for Title X are entitled to:
- Stay in their "school of origin"
- Be provided transportation to and from school
- Title I services even if their school of origin is not a Title I school
- School supplies, uniforms, clothing
- Referrals to services including mental/physical health, housing, food, etc.
- Tutoring if they are behind their peers academically