Welcome to the BMS Library!
Welcome to the BMS Library! We have over 5,000 titles to choose from plus hundreds of digital and audio books now available through our digital platform SORA. BMS library also subscribes to eight Infobase databases that can help you meet all of your research needs. Spend a little quality time with your favorite book every Friday during Free-Read Friday, and feed your creative side on the first Monday of every month during Maker Monday where you can participate in STEAM activities that include everything from building with KEVA to coding Ozobots to movie making with Stop Motion. With everything happening at BMS Library, there is no reason you shouldn’t be here!
BMS Library Makeover
We are excited to announce a new look for BMS Library! BMS Library has undergone quite a transformation over the last couple of years. We have been blessed with generous grants from our local Boaz Walmart and the Guntersville Lowe’s. These grants along with private donations from John and Christine Purdy of Huntsville, McRae Funeral Home of Boaz, and contributions through our Marshall County Legislative Office from Representative Kerry Rich and Senator Clay Scofield, have allowed us to renovate our school library space into one that is more functional and inviting for our students and teachers. We have been able to replace the library’s original tables and chairs with new, brightly colored tables equipped with castors and with lightweight, stackable chairs, both of which allow us to more easily rearrange and transform our library space to meet its varying needs throughout the school day. New window treatments, upholstery, paint, and much needed vinyl signage brighten and cheer the space even more. Perhaps the most pronounced change to the library is our new circulation desk built by Boaz’s own Ronnie Smith (Classic Designs Cabinets). Not only did Ronnie help us to design a new, more functional circulation desk to better meet our library’s changing needs, but through his craftsmanship, Ronnie created for us a beautiful desk that is in itself a work of art. Finally, with an additional donation from John and Christine Purdy of Huntsville, we were able to employ Marshall County artist Donald Walker’s amazingly creative talent to paint the mural that would complete our library transformation. Thank you to all of our benefactors. We are grateful for your help in creating a new and more friendly library space.
Click here to see photos of our transformation.
Directions for Browsing, Reserving, and Checking Out a Book Remotely from BMS Library
- From the BMS Website, scroll down to Popular Links or Quick Links and choose the Library OPAC link
- Click "LOG ON" in the Account box in the top, right-hand corner. Both your username and passworrd are your lunch number.
- Once you are logged in, go to the Search box in the top, left-hand corner. From there you can search for a book by title, author, or subject. You can also click the "Media" button below the search field box to search by genre. Just check the genre you would like to search. Then scroll to the bottom and click "Search."
- Scroll through the results until you find what you are looking for. Next, click on the title you like. From there you can go ahead and click the "Reserve" button and follow the prompts to reserve the book, or you can click the "Snapshot" tab to read an expanded summary, reviews, or an excerpt.
- When you get ready to reserve your book, first click the "Summary" tab. Then click the "Reserve" button on the right-hand side. This will take you to the Reserve page where you will click "Reserve" again and then follow the prompts to confirm your reservation.
- The OPAC will then send us a message in the library notifying us of your reservation. We will pull the book, check it out to you, then deliver it to you. When you finish your book, simply bring it back to the library and place it on the return book cart.
Directions for Checking Out a Digital or Audio Book in SORA
- From your Google browser, pull down the BCSS Bookmarks list located in the top left corner and log into your CLEVER account.
- After logging into your CLEVER account, scroll down until you find the SORA icon.
- Once you click the SORA icon, it may ask you to sign in using Boaz City School District. If so, go ahead and do this to get into SORA.
- From here, you can explore available titles or scroll down and explore by subject.
- You can click "Read Sample" or "Listen to Sample" to read or hear an excerpt from the book. If it is something you like, just click "Borrow" to download the book.
- The book will stay checked out to you for 14 days. If you finish early, you can select the book from your "Home" screen in SORA and opt to go ahead and turn the book in. You can also renew a book from the "Home" screen if you need to keep your book a little longer.
- There is also a SORA App that you can download to your phone or tablet. It is listed as SORA by Overdrive in the App store and will have the little rocket guy icon like you see above.
- If you have questions about using SORA, please email me at email@example.com, or you can swing by the library.